Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Oklahoma Weather and more Noro Kureyon


Hi Knitters,

The Oklahoma adage "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes" has once again been proved true.  We woke up to sunny skies and singing birds last Sunday morning.  We opened all the wondows to enjoy the fresh cool air.  Tim jogged and worked in the yard while I knit.  Later that afternoon I was sitting at my computer with both cats nearby enjoying the sunny views out the open windows.  Tim was a few steps away watching a game on TV.  The next moment the skies darkened, the wind kicked up dramatically, and hail stones began pelting our roof so loud and so fast we couldn't hear each other speak.  The cats ran under the bed, and we ran around closing windows just in time for a deluge of pounding rain mixed with more hail.  When the storm let up just a few minutes later our front yard looked like this:






Our back yard looked eerie.  I guess the icey hail combined with the warm ground made the mist. 
 

Everyone in our neighborhood and sesveral other surrounded neighborhoods needs a new roof, and many of us also need to replace screens, windows, siding, etc.  Fortunately our pets were safe and sound but I wondered how all the outdoor animals faired.  Sadly to say, my neighbor picked up several birds in her yard that didn't survive the storm.  We have had Mourning Doves cooing away just outside our windows all spring and I was so happy to hear them cooing away again yesterday.  I wonder where they weathered all the danger.  When we called our insurance agent Monday morning he said we were his 50th call.  Our street was abuzz all day yesterday with out-of-state roofers that must have loaded up their trucks and headed for Oklahoma while the storm was happening.  Signs are popping up on yards and I am sure we will be hearing construction noise for some time to come.   

Here's my current knitting project.  As I was knitting this I thought it reflected the colors of the stormy skies we had witnessed.  The pictures don't do the the depth and variation of the Noro colors justice.   The finished square is color #213.  It may be my favorite so far -- no surprize, with all the greens and blues.  No 254 is on the needles and looks like a winner as well.  Nine squares and counting!

 

Happy Knitting, Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment