Friday, May 21, 2010

Classic Elite Farmers Market Pattens

Hi Knitters,

Classic Elite's e-letter arrived in my mail box this morning and I can't wait to get over to Gourmet Yarn Co. to pick up CE's "Farmer's Market" pattern book.  I like all the patterns but there are two "I absolutely have to knit that" projects.  The first is the Market Bag. 


Looks fairly easy and quick to knit and I think it would be a perfect gift for just about everyone I know--after I knit one for myself, that is.  They show it in Allegoro, 70% organic cotton and 30% linen.  I have never knit with Allegoro before but I am hoping like crazy that Gourmet Yarn carries it because the soft, springy colors are so lovely.   If not I think Berocco's cotton Vintage would work really well.

I am more likely to use my Market Bag as a purse and a project bag rather than an actual market bag.  I am not a big fan of stretching out knitted market bags to to maximum capacity so I will be lining it with some fun fabric from the quilting shop.  It's partly aesthetic with me--because the stretching usually distorts the pattern which attracted you to the project in the first place--but, also, I just like the support and shape that a lining provides.   I usually handsew some bias binding along the inside of the shoulder strap as well since, depending on the yarn and the stitch used, knitted straps can stretch an enormous amount and your bag could end up swaying around your ankles.


The other must-knit is the Sideways Lace Vest knit in Soft Linen. 



I can imagine throwing this on over a sundress or jeans and tee every day.  And although sweaters are a difficult gift to knit I think this is actually a sweater that you could surprise someone with as the design is such that sizing wouldn't be too much of an issue, a general bust measurement would be all you would need.   The colors of the Soft Linen are wonderful -- "Winter Pear," "Thistle Down," "Kentucky Blue," and "Bottocelli Pink."  The hardest thing for this project is going to be color choice.


Happy Knitting,  Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment