Saturday, May 15, 2010

Boyfriend Socks




Hi Knitters,

My current project is a free pattern on Ravelry:  "Boyfriend Socks" by Alice Bell.  It is my favorite men's sock pattern.  The cabling is beautiful and looks a little complex but the pattern is actually very simple and easy to follow for the intermediate knitter.  At first glance, seeing the 24 row repeat, I expected a more heads-up, no TV watching kind of knit.  But once you have knit through one pattern repeat you see that there are really only four rows to learn and repeat in the correct order.  You probably won't even need to refer to the pattern once you have worked through the repeat once.  You do, however, need to keep close track of which row you are on, so I would recommend a row counter or at least a paper tally next to you. 

For this pair I am using Cherry Tree Hill Semi-Solid sock yarn which I had on hand and, actually, I am not too crazy about how it is knitting up.  Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn is first quality and I have no complaint there.  But in this case the distribution of the semi-solid bits as I knit is looking decidedly out of whack.  Perhaps it's the 80-stitch cast on, but the variegation went from a lovely tweedy effect on the toes to some off-kilter over-sized stripes, funky but not in a good way.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of sock knitting is the gorgeous variety of hand-dyed, hand-painted, self-patterning, self-striping yarns.  It's the anticipation of not knowing exactly what the yarn that captivated you at the knit shop will become, and witnessing the fun surprise of seeing it come together stitch by stitch.
In this case, and for the first time since I have been using the self-patterning yarns, I am a tad disappointed in the outcome.


This is what is refered to as "pooling" and now I understand first-hand why we do not like pooling.  Since I am knitting in the two-at-a-time mode I think adding two more skeins would send me over the edge.  Debated frogging but decided I had too much time committed to give up or give in now.  I'll play around with it a bit and let you know what happens.

These socks are a gift for my Dad who thinks hand-knit socks are about the best thing ever and I know that my dad is not going to comment on the distribution of the self-patterning yarn.  After his first pair of hand-knit socks given to him for his birthday two years ago he was hooked.  Now all he wants for any gift-giving occaision is more hand-knit socks.  Last time I was home to visit I told him I would keep knitting for him until he had at least one pair for every day of the week.  This will be his sixth pair.  They may not be his prettiest but he can always wear them with boots.  Anyway, I shall plod on and hope once these are all neatly blocked and folded, I will feel a little happier about them.

Happy knitting, Josey




No comments:

Post a Comment