Monday, April 5, 2010

Slipcover for tattered ottoman

Hi Knitters,

I have gone two days without knitting -- very unusual for me.  We had an upholstery emergency in our den. 
My husband and I spend the great majority of out time in an upstairs den, a small room with an angled ceiling over our garage.  Its kind of cold in the winter and hot in the summer but it's our favorite place to be and the furniture is well used.  This is what our poor ottoman looked like a few days ago.  I could have sworn that just a few weeks ago it was only a tiny worn spot and don't know how and when it ripped wide open like that.  And it's such a shame with the sides of it still looking spanking new.  I didn't have any left-over fabric from my red and white toile period but on a recent trip to Joann's for notions I found this fabric in their 40% off bin.  It seemed to tie in with the motley assortment in our den and I bought a yard each which turned out to be just enough.
I am by no means an experienced upholsterer and I wasn't interested in spending a great deal of time on this project. I knew ahead of time that I wasn't going to drive myself crazy trying to match up patterns and stripes.  I just jumped in pretty confident I couldn't make it look any worse.  I took it step by step, sewed where I had too, and used fusible hem tape every where else.  I finished it this afternoon and am pretty satisfied. The hems are slightly askew and the stripes don't match up exactly but at least the stuffing is contained.  The dark fabric will take additional wear that the red and white toile could not and from standing distance it looks pretty darn good.  The whole project took two evenings and cost less than $20. Thank you, Joanns, for your wonderful sales every few weeks.

Now I can get back to my knitting. Except, now the sofa fabric is looking pretty shabby -- and not shabby chic.  Well, at least there's no stuffing showing yet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment