Thursday, April 8, 2010

Perfect Project Tote made of Dish Towels

Hi Knitters,
Today I was using a tote that my sister gave me for a Christmas gift last year and I realized that it is too cute and too handy not to share with everyone.  We have several crafty family members and one of my favorite things about our Christmas get-togethers is seeing the creative work my family has done over the year.  My sister made me this adorable tote out of two dish towels, which means that much of your seaming is already done, a few seams here and there and you have a tote.
 

The instructions for this project are here at this Better Homes and Gardens Website.  It's the perfect size tote for socks and scarves and maybe even a small sweater.  A seam down the middle on the outside makes two deep pockets on each side to stuff your notions, needles, or crochet hooks.  I can't think of any crafter who wouldn't find an immediate use for such a cute bag.  The website instructions refer to it as a purse but I guess my knitterly mind translates everything into project purposes.  My sister substituted a fun hand-carved button for the felted flower, a big time-saver.  She did give a few helpful hints if you want to make one.  It took some hunting on her part to find the right size purse handles.  The handles need to be at least 8" across to accomodate the sewing.  She did eventually find some at one of the super Joanns.  Most of the handles out there seem to be smaller. 

I have quite a few towels that I have collected over the years just because I thought they were pretty but when I got them home thought they were too nice to put to use in the kitchen.  This is a perfect project to put them to use. 

Happy Knitting (and sewing),  Josey  

No comments:

Post a Comment