Friday, March 5, 2010

Noro Kureyon

Hi Knitters,
Last year while wandering around Ravelry I stumbled on to this gorgeous design by Laura Ayler called Lizard Ridge:  http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTlizardridge.html.    Laura has designed the perfect square to showcase Noro's incredible color palettes.   Not only does her use of short rows make beautiful geometrics with the colors, but she has also designed the square so that you knit alternately from each end of the skein for an even distribution of color changes.  

I checked Lizard Ridge as a favorite that night and have thought about it often.  The large afghan seemed a but ambitious for me to take on at the time (it takes 24 skeins) as well as a bit expensive to jump in without full commitment.  Last week while looking longingly at Gourmet Yarn's massive collection of Kureyon colors a lightbulb went off in my mind and I had my solution.  I could satisfy my longing to knit a version of Lizard Ridge without making either a huge time commitment or breaking the bank.

I am the first member of my very own, one-member club:  "The Knit-a-Lizard Ridge Square a Month Club."  I bought my first skein last week.  There are no colors of Kureyon that I do not love, so I grabbed the first one my fingers landed on which happened to be #220.  Does color get any better than this?




I'll purchase a new color each month (give or take, I'm already itching for my next skein).  I haven't quite decided what form the final project will take but I don't think mine will be an afghan.  At this moment I envision a wall-hanging for my dining room, perhaps.  At $9.00 a pop I am on the installment plan to item of beauty yet to take shape but I'll keep you posted.

Happy Knitting, Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment