Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rocky Mountain Dye Works

Earlier this summer I followed a link in KnitCircus Magazine to Rocky Mountain DyeWorks.  It's a beautifully designed site and I spent quite a bit of time admiring all  of the hand dyed yarns.  I left a comment on the blog and forgot all about it until some weeks later when I got an e-mail from the owner/designer/dyer, Hasmi Ferguson, that I had won a yarn giveaway.   Hasmi dyes the fiber herself, which surprised me because the professional look of the site and the nice inventory made me envision a large, well-staffed company.  She was kind enough to ask me for a yarn preference.  I didn't see how I could go wrong and pretty much said that I would be happy with anything she would like to send.  She responded shortly telling me the package was ready to go and would be on its way as soon as the Canadian postal strike ended.  A couple weeks later the package arrived.  It was overflowing with things that make a knitters heart happy.

Isn't this project bag fun?  Hasmi said it is made of recycled advertisements --  from Viet Nam, I think.  It will hold plenty of yarn.  Isn't the T-shirt logo perfect?
Makes you want to visit.


These sweet little stitch markers must have been made with the teeniest crochet hook ever.  All the lace projects I've been working on require markers, so I was really happy to have these.  They make me smile.



The yarn!  The photos don't quite do the colors justice but I think you can see the lovely variations in each.  I have knit several lace patterns recently and I really appreciate using the variegated solids.  They add more richness and warmth than a solid/solid without interfering with the design of the lace.

The yarn is called "Sundance Sock."  I love the name.  I love the yarn.


Hasmi also enclosed these mini skeins, little 30-40 yard samples of several of Rocky Mountain Dye Works other weights and colors.  Just enough for a few amigurumi or mini mochis.


I included this photo just to show off the hang tags.  Makes me -- along with the rest of the population of Oklahoma and Texas -- want to head north.  We are in desparate need of some cool mountain air down here.  Although this week the weathermen have promised a break from the 100 degree plus temps.....


What a fun and generous giveaway.  Thank you Hasmi and Rocky Mountain DyeWorks.

Tomorrow I'll post pics of what I knit with the green skein.

Check out Rocky Mountain DyeWorks here.

PS  It rained in Oklahoma tonight.  Real earth soaking rain!  I opened our back door just to listen and feel it blow in through the screen.  I thanked God and danced around the kitchen with happiness and gratitude.  My kitties thought it was interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment