Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Sweater in Schaefer "Susan"

I sometimes knit for designers and there are some really nice perks.  One, I get to knit some brand new patterns by talented designers in yarns that may not even be on the market yet.  Two, I get acquainted with lots of different fibers I might otherwise not try and three, I get paid in yarn.  Let me repeat that....I get paid in yarn!  I send in the finished project and a short while later a nice fat padded envelope full of yarn shows up in my mailbox that won't show up on my VISA card.  This is my most recent "paycheck."



It's "Susan" by Schaefer Yarn Company.  It's a sport-weight cotton and knits quickly and beautifully.  It has a really soft sheen to it.  I ordered it in the "Susan Sontag" colorway.  I love that Schafer names most of its colors after accomplished women and they introduce new colors frequently.  I did a little swatching almost as soon as I unpacked it.  I am into crocheting this year and I have been adding crochet edging everywhere I can.

I bought the most recent issue of Vogue Knitting at Gourmet Yarn last month because I loved the sweater on the cover and planned to knit it.



However, when I actually read the pattern it turned out that it is one-size-fits-all and measures about 48 inches around the chest.  I am a fan of oversized sweaters but being  petite I am pretty sure it would swallow me.  And because of the construction it is not a pattern that lends itself to being rewritten easily, at least not by me.

But I did fall in love with this sweater in the issue:

I think it will be perfect in the "Susan."  Unfortunately this sweater is a different gauge and I will have to rewrite it for sportweight, but it should be fairly easy for such a simple shape.  And I think a crochet shell edging might work nicely along the hem.  I hope to have it finished before a vacation up north this summer.  

Happy Knitting, Josey

No comments:

Post a Comment